Sunday, April 19, 2009

A Glorious Spring Day!


Well I'm not religious, so "glory" is probably the wrong adjective. Perhaps beautiful should suffice. Regardless my girlfriend and daughter took full advantage of the great weather. We headed to a local spot, only 45 minutes drive.

Hawk Mountain Sanctuary has been a favorite spot of mine for the last 20 years.
We only saw (well one of the guides and I) one non-captive hawk today. It was a sharp-shined hawk and I only got a quick look at it.

However in their amphitheater we managed to catch a brief talk by one of their volunteers. He had a female red tail hawk and a great horned owl. Both were magnificent even though imperfect since they were rescued from injuries. I learned some things about the owl I never knew...amazing creatures...their adaptations and skills put your average hawk to shame.
The redtail was hard to snap a good photo of...she was constantly moving. The GH Owl was another matter. This bird and I are from the same mold...calm, cool and in total control of the situation. She even winked at me. ;)

Here's two more of this amazing creature. one two

No comments:

Post a Comment